Since the 1970’s, when there was a
shortage of oil, home construction has changed
dramatically. It is now common practice to heavily
insulate homes, wrap the exterior with a vapor
barrier, and create less ventilation from the outside
air. This can cause the potential for mold growth
if there is a water event. According to statistics
from the Bureau of the Census, 35% of homes are
damaged due to water or moisture yearly. With the
wood, cellulose, and other organic materials used
in buildings, this now provides a fertile platform
for mold growth.
All buildings can be affected by excessive
moisture. The source of the water intrusion must
be identified and fixed to prevent further mold
growth. Suspected visible mold growth can only
be determined by Laboratory analysis for positive
Identifying mold or mold problems should be
done by a trained inspector who is knowledgeable
in all factors of mold growth. A thorough
inspection by our Professionals will identify
all possible causes of mold growth within the
premises. We can also take the appropriate samples
for laboratory analysis of suspected mold growth.
Mold is a fungus. The main purpose of mold is to
break down dead materials, like wood and fiber that are used
in building materials. There are good molds and bad molds.
Some molds are used in making antibiotics, beer, and cheese,
for example, while other types of molds can cause serious
Mold growth can start as soon as 24 hours
after a water event has occurred. Mold can often be seen
in the form of a discoloration or a stain. When molds are
present in large quantities, called colonies, they become
a health concern. Some people are sensitive to molds.
Exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal
stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation and can
trigger Asthma episodes. Some people, such as those with
serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions.
Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath.
Some people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive
lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs.