Mold Removal and Cleanup
Removing large infestations requires precautionsu2014and work!
You can scrub away the surface mold common to bathrooms, decks and siding in a matter of minutes with a 1-to-8 bleach/water solution We do not recommend bleach for the simple reason it does not KILL the spores. But often mold grows and spreads in places you don't notice, until you spot surface staining, feel mushy drywall or detect that musty smell.
If you have to remove mold concentrations covering more than a few square feet, where the musty odor is strong or where you find extensive water damage, we recommend that you take special precautions. You want to not only avoid contaminating the rest of the house but also protect yourself from breathing high concentrations of spores and VOCs.
Step by Step
- u00a0Wear old clothes and shoes that you can launder or throw away after the cleanup work.
- u00a0Wear special N-95 or P-100 respirators, in addition to goggles and gloves.
- u00a0Set an old box fan or a cheap new one in a window to ventilate the room while working. Throw it out when you're done cleaning, because the spores are almost impossible to clean off. Tape plywood or cardboard around the window openings so the spores can't blow back in .
- u00a0Wrap and tape moldy carpeting in 6-mil plastic, and double-bag mold-infested debris in garbage bags for disposal .
- u00a0To control airborne spores, moisten moldy areas with a garden sprayer while you work (Photo 1).
- u00a0Turn off your furnace and air conditioner and cover ducts and doors to contain spores.
- u00a0Keep your wet/dry vacuum outside when you vacuum.
Moisture damage and large mold infestations go hand in hand. Cleaning under an old leaky window where wind-driven rain frequently got into the wall and gave mold a foothold.
You have to open up the wall to get at the mold growing inside . Since you have to repair the wall anyway, don't hesitate to cut the drywall back beyond the obvious damage to find all the mold and let the wall dry out. To avoid cutting electrical wires, poke a hole through the damaged section and locate the wires first. Turn off the power to the outlets before you cut.
If the moisture damage has been neglected or gone unnoticed for long, you're likely to find rot. Where possible, remove and replace soft, spongy studs and wall sheathing. Where removal is difficult, treat the affected areas with a wood preservative (available at home centers), after cleaning the wood and allowing it to dry. Then double up rotted members with pressure-treated wood.
If you are unsure of any of these processes you need a professional Mold remediation company such as Win Win Inspections. MRSR#973 Call 386-846-5368.